Friday, February 1, 2008

Creative Writing Questions I.

1. Reading is important to a writer because it is what they write for. Writers need to read so that they know what their competition is such as in a magazine writer. If they don't know what other magazines are publishing then they can't make their own unique and interesting piece of writing. People don't enjoy reading the same sort of things over and over again. Reading also provides a mean for a writer to gather knowledge. This expands the writer's thoughts and perhaps could change his mind on subjects and enlighten him to what is happening in the rest of the world.


2. The disconcern of the environment by people deeply concerns me. With global warming and the like, people are destroying the world slowly but surely. If we do not step up and clean the oceans and air, the world will not be able to support life any longer. I feel this way because we are killing all of the wonderful things around us that have taken millions of years to get to where they are at.


3. A book that has inspired me is Dune by Frank Herbert. It is about a boy that with his mothers help rises from being a fugitive to becoming the leader of a nomadic nation. His persistence and hard work has inspired me and taught me that with those characteristics it may be possible to get anywhere in the world. It has also inspired me to look at the bigger consequences that my actions may take and to factor them into my decisions. Although this is a work of fiction it does give these messages to the reader and makes them think about how it may affect their lives.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Interesting concept in your first question. I've never thought of reading as analyzing competition. That makes a lot of sense though. I agree that some people are pretty careless with how they treat their surroundings, however, I believe I've heard that the amount of air polution created by humans is only 4% of the total air polution. Regardless, we should still be responsible for what we've been blessed to have. And finally, I don't recall having heard of Dune, but it sounds like a very interesting concept--maybe I'll read it someday when I have time to read for fun again.

Catie said...

I really liked your first comment a lot. Honestly, I would never have been able to compare reading and competition. But after I read what you said I realized that I agree with you one hundred percent. Also, Heck yes with the global warming response. That is exactly what I put for my post. Its so true we are destroying our world little by little. And its sad because we can totally prevent global warming but no one wants to care enough to do anything about it. I'm glad to see that you care enough and hope you take action such as turning your lights off and recycling if you don't do it!
~Catie~

Optimus Prime said...

Dan - I liked how you compared reading and writing into a competitive nature, it gives new insight to reading. I also agree that writers need to read because it is simply what they do. As for the second paragraph, i9 think what people are doing to the world is very bad, but i also think there is a lot going unnoticed that is trying to help our environment. And for the third, Dune essentially fits you perfectly.

Jared said...

I liked your response to the third question. Although not everybody can grow up to be a leader on a large scale, it's very true that lots of people come out successful despite growing up with bad surroundings.