Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Creative Writing II.

1. Theme is what a story is wrote for and although the story contributes it is not the reason of the writing. It is the theme that a story describes that is the focus of the writing. A story that does not have a theme is uninteresting and loses the attention of the reader as it does not seem to be going in any specific direction or convey any idea. An example of this is the book The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. If Narnia was never freed from the witch, then it would never have its theme of having freedom prevail. This would make the story much less interesting as the theme is not present. The story would have been told for nought and would have been unliked by the readers. Thus a work of writing needs to have a theme about it.

2. A theme that I am thinking about conveying through my play is the need for people to take care of themselves and take responsibility for their actions. The government places so many restrictions on citizens that it is beginning to take away our freedom. An example of this is wearing a seatbelt while driving a car. I know that it is a good idea to wear a seat belt for my own safety but I dislike that I can be punished for not wearing it. It is my own life in harms way and it would be my own stupid fault if I died from it. This "protection" from the government is making our country oblivious to what is and is not stupid to do. In essence these types of laws are making the general population more and more stupid.

3. A conflict that I might put in my play is a woman that burns her mouth on a hot cup of coffee and sues the company that served the coffee because they did not have a warning on the cup. She gets a large sum of money and puts the company out of business. The employees are now jobless and near broke. Her son does not think this is right and has a big arguement with his mother about the fact and disowns her.

5 comments:

Optimus Prime said...

I like your support for your theme description, using The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as your example. And i must say i really really really really really really really really really like your conflict. I also agree that those things are very stupid, and that people should stop blaming other for their own actions. Good job.

Jared said...

Like I have said before on other blogs, a theme is what makes a story great. Readers need to gain something from a story other than just understanding the plot. I also like the idea of people taking responsibility for their actions. I don't know how much you can expand on the coffee thing but good luck.

Elizabeth said...

Are stories written for a theme? Or does a good story naturally have such a good plot and sense of conflict and resolve that a theme results? I still, yes contrary to all of you, believe that a theme is--although important--not the main focus of a writer. stepping off of my soapbox, I really like your idea for your conflict. I particuarly like the conflict between family members over the ethical aspect of suing a company. My only suggestion is maybe change the coffee aspect, simply because I've heard of a lot of stories where people sue because of their hot coffee spilling. That conflict fits well with your theme though, and I think you should go for it! It sounds interesting and relatable. It's also very economic in nature--in case you wondered. :)

Jared said...

Yup, this is another one like I just posted on Liz's blog. Um... Ya I actually want to see how this play turns out. If there's steady conflict and possibly fighting, this could turn out to be one of the greatest plays of all-time. I think you should name the mom Momu and have her win the lawsuit because the judge feels bad for her. Also, you should consider some sort of ransom idea because those always make things more interesting. Like if the son took his mom and hid her because he thinks the lawsuit is unjust. O yeah.

Catie said...

Hmm.. Well once again i'm just a tiny bit late in posting.... But I think that you shouldn't write a play about the lady who burnt her tounge and then have her sew the coffee palce. Unless you could get it to last a long time. But basically it would be ouch! I burnt my tounge. Then I'm gonna sew this coffee place. But if thats what your heart is telling you to write about then go for it. But I do agree with you when you said a story without theme is very boaring however certain people don't seem to think so...