Monday, February 25, 2008

Creative Writing III

1. It was quite interesting and different writing a play rather than a normal story. It's entirely weird to leave out exactly what the actors are doing to allow for them to add their own stuff. At times it is hard to have the characters describing the conflicts and situations instead of explaining it with a narrator or the like. I don't think I attempt to write any sort of drama writing in the near future.

2. I would say to live and do all of the fun things while you are young. Don't worry about the little things while growing up and go out on adventures because when you are older you are expected to behave like an adult and not do any of the fun stuff. Doing fun stuff doesn't include drugs though because they can really mess people up. On top of that always give it your all. Thats basically my advice and I give it because there is some stuff I would have liked to do but at this age it may seem weird or I may be held more responsible for it.

3. Great literature lasts so long because it is epic or it brought about a revolution in writing. It tells of great adventure or does something that is against the current times. It is so well thought out and different from the general writing that was taking place when it was written that it stands and changes the trend in writing. Personally I do not think that I will ever write something that will be remembered through the ages unless it is some discovery about math or science. This is because I am not very artistically inclined and focus more on my math and science skills.

2 comments:

Jared said...

I agree that writing a play is way different than writing a book. However, I like that discribing characters and settings in plays is very straightforward. I also think that you give good advice. Little kids don't realize how good they have it. The consequences for anything bad they do aren't very severe. I disagree with your thoughts about being remembered-maybe you could make a name for yourself by shunning people in plays like Momu.

Elizabeth said...

haha, i can just imagine you telling a 5 year old not to do drugs. they'd probably think you were talking about like the chemicals under the sink that their mommy told them not to touch. but for sure writing a play is different than writing a story. i'm kind of suprised though that you struggled with some of that since you spend a bunch of time in theater. but i suppose you probably don't spend all that much time with blocking..so nevermind haha. I agree with part of your third response. I think that when there is a revolution in writing that those works become very memorable. Unfortunatly though there are some very booooring pieces of literature that have lasted throughout the ages. Like Walden for example. dense stuff that transendentalism.