Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Writing Territories

I generally read science fiction and fantasy novels. I have read the Dune series, Redwall series, part of the Dragonlance series and many more. These type of books have always been the type I read for enjoyment. Of course I have read other types mainly just the ones assigned for school. As for writing myself, I don't do a whole lot of it. I guess I don't write that much because it takes me a while to get it down on paper the way I like it. Usually my writing would be in the form of short stories but I have written some poetry. I do not write too frequently only a couple times a month or when I feel like it. Just like what I read, I enjoy writing about fiction. This is because I am a little more science and math oriented in my life and tend to think about that it a little more.


I have always loved to go exploring and as a child I did a great deal of it. Once when I was with a couple a friends, we decided to explore the Nine-Mile Creek. It was the winter so the creek was frozen over and we were walking on it. The ice seemed pretty solid so we didn't see any harm in doing so. We were having a great time walking on the creek and chatting until we came to where the creek intersects Highway-62. At the intersection the creek goes under the highway through a small tunnel. Being kids and thus not being the brightest we decided to try and crawl on the ice through the tunnel. When we were about 15 ft in or so we heard the ice start cracking. In a panic we turned around and hightailed it out. The whole while hearing the ice cracking and crunching. We made it out safely but when we were deciding what to do next, my foot went through the ice and into the frigid water. My foot and part of my leg got completely soaked with the freezing water even though I had boots on. I managed to get my foot out pretty easily and we started back for my house going as quickly as we could. With my foot freezing, I was worried that I might get frostbite. Eventually we reached a warming house at a park where we went into the bathrooms to warm up. After drying out my foot and warming it up I was glad to find out that there seemed to be no harm done to it. From there we walked the last couple minutes back to my house where the rest of the day wore away and my friends departed for their homes. To this day I still enjoy these kinds of adventures but I am now more cautious when walking on ice and check it more thoroughly before putting my weight on it.

1 comment:

Catie said...

Ooo that is a scary story. I take it you did not fully fall in. Why did you walk on the ice in the first place?... I did to read some of the Red Wall books I loved them I just never got around to finishing the whole series.